Is your key lost, damaged or stolen? Call The Lock Guyz® to get a replacement Chevy Cobalt key. Car keys is our business. We provide on-site car key replacement service for all GM models.
Chevy Dealer Vs. Auto Locksmith
It’s a myth that only a dealer can cut a new key from the car VIN, while locksmiths has to file the key, tweak it and make it work. However, locksmiths has access the dealer key code database (under certain conditions). However, local auto locksmiths can pick and decode your car locks in minutes, retrieving the cuts for the key. Therefore, a key code is not always required.
A locksmith, well – a good one – can provide you with a fast and affordable Chevy Cobalt key replacement if all of your keys are lost. Yes, that’s even when you lost the original key and have no keys at all to start your vehicle.
Chevy Cobalt Key
The Cobalt is using GM standard & most common transponder key (Marked with a + sign in a circle, engraved on the bladder marked on the black plastic cover).
If all keys are lost and you need a new key made (without having the original), you can contact us for a free quote.
How to Program a Chevy Cobalt Key
When all keys are lost…
1. Insert the new cut key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON position.The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for ten minutes. When the security light goes out, you have one minute to start the next step.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back to the ON position. The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for ten more minutes. When the security light goes out, you have one minute to start the next step.
3. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back to the ON position. The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for ten more minutes.
4. After the security light has gone off for the third time, turn key OFF and remove from ignition. The key is now programmed and all other keys have been erased.
5. Insert key and start vehicle to test key.
TO ADD AN EXTRA KEY
1. Insert an existing programmed working key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn ignition to the ON position for 5 seconds, then back to OFF position.
3. Remove the existing key and within 5 seconds insert new key and turn it to the ON position for 5 seconds.
4. Turn key OFF then back to ON. Congratulations! The key is now programmed. Start vehicle to test.
How to program a Chevy Cobalt Remote
There is no on board procedure. Therefore, you will have to contact a local locksmith or a GM dealer in order to program a new remote.
Interested in programming an old/ new remote for your Chevy Cobalt? Contact us to schedule a service call.
What is Chevy Cobalt
The Chevrolet Cobalt is a compact car initially introduced by Chevrolet in 2004 for the 2005 model year. The Cobalt replaced both the Cavalier and the Toyota-based Geo Prizm/Chevrolet Prizm as Chevrolet’s compact car. The Cobalt was available as both a coupe and sedan, and is based on the GM Delta platform also shared with the Chevrolet HHR and the Saturn ION. Also available was a high performance, Chevrolet Cobalt SS.
A Pontiac version was sold primarily as the Pontiac G5 in Canada for its entire run (where it was briefly known as the Pontiac Pursuit and later Pontiac G5 Pursuit), as well as the Pontiac G4 in Mexico for 2005–2006, and in both Mexico and the United States under the G5 name for 2007–2009. In all cases, the G5 replaced the Cavalier-related Pontiac Sunfire. While the Cobalt was available as a 2-door coupé and a 4-door sedan in all markets it was offered in, the G5 was only available as a coupé in the United States while a sedan version was sold alongside the coupé in Canada and Mexico.